Official Home of SubsoniqRadio.com | Bringing You the Very Best in Progressive Hip Hop Music Since 2001

Elmatic = Illmatic?

Was Elzhi’s take on Nas’s classic “Illmatic” on point? When does the Tribe Called Quest documentary finally come out? Who’s playing the Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival this year? Who is Leatherass? what the hell is a doppelganger?!?! Find out all of this plus tons of new progressive hip hop in this week’s episode.

Download link and Play List a few lines down, but first more info on Mike Week’s (Subsoniq listener) short film/documentary about online poker. Take a few minutes and check it out, we were pretty blown away by what we saw.

To preview an excerpt from Mike Weeks documentary about online poker please visit: http://bit.ly/iibET2 to help fund his documentary check out http://kck.st/lmPbOS

DOWNLOAD the show here: http://bit.ly/mbOSVu (right click and “save as” to download, you can also listen and download at bottom of post)

Subsoniq 6-10-11 Play List

Elzhi – Memory Lane (Elmatic)

J. Cole – Return Of Simba

Cunninlynguists – Hard As They Come (f/Freddie Gibbs)

Geto Boys – Damn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta

Bun B – Chuuch!

Tech N9ne – He’s A Mental Giant

Dela – WhatUWanna (f/Blu)

Uzi Octopus (Raw Poetic & A.Gause) – Let It Fall Aside

Q-Tip – Do It, See It, Be It (hidden track)

Elzhi – Represent ((Elmatic)

Edo G – Fastlane

Kool G Rap – Fast Life remix (f/Nas)

Gil Scott Heron – NY Is Killing Me

Beastie Boys – Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament > Son Of Neckbone

Brown Bag Allstars – The Agenda (Marco Polo remix)

Crown City Rockers – Another Day (Thes One remix)

Bad Meets Evil (Royce Da 5’9 & Eminem) – Fastlane

Bumpy Knuckles – Lyrical Workout (f/N.O.R.E.) > Industry Shakedown

Pete Rock & Smif N Wessun – That’s Hard (f/Sean P, Styles P)

Pharoahe Monch – The Hitman

Donwill – n.i.l.m.

Elzhi – The World Is Yours (Elmatic)

8 Responses to Elmatic = Illmatic?

1. […] got a little air time this week from one of my favorite radio shows SUBSONIQ. Check out the link here, scroll to the bottom of the page, click the little play button to listen to the show. They talk […]

2. david jefferson says:

Hey can I still get my tshirt
    San Antonio tx
    2811 christan Dr 78222

3. janzu says:

Nice show…I’m really diggin what I’ve heard from elmatic. Real ballsy move, look forward to giving the album a listen.. Lotta good music this week, gotta keep beasties in the mix.

Nice of Gangsta Mittens to grace us with her negativity…wtf? Every time, Krs-one, whoever..

Hope to make it in the city for BHF. Will most definitely be hittin Rock the bells, nyc.

4. Gangsta Mittens says:

So I couldn’t decide whether or not to respond, but this isn’t the first time I’ve heard this criticism so I thought I’d take a stab at explaining. I’m not a negative person. That being said, I do tend to be more vocal when I’m in the minority. While there are certain artists that I just don’t like for various reasons, I try to give everything a fair listen. I really wasn’t feeling Elmatic. I realize most folks do… my husband looked at me like I was an alien when I said I wasn’t feeling it… but I really just wasn’t. It just didn’t come together for me. Honestly, I think that KB, Doc and Deuce just like arguing with me. They set me up to say controversial things so that yall can be mad at me! One week I’m just gonna do my own take over show and talk about alll the things I like!

5. KB says:

^^^^
    stokes the fire, doesn’t light the match

6. regarding elzhi on elmatic i thought his flow was remarkable very smooth on the tracks but i wasnt really diggin the lyrics as much, i mean its obvious you cant touch nas on his own tracks, the production was real nice tho with the live vibes. nice show overall tho. btw nas got a new track just dropped its up on soundcloud, personally i think he is on his ego too much but its a nice track

7. BrainSlice says:

YOOOOO. Late to the party as usual, but first off as always I appreciate the shout-out KB. I gotta say Elzhi blew me away on this. The music and live instrumentation was the only way to do it, and I think Elzhi killed it – he is a lyrical maniac. That said……I didn’t hear any negativity from Monica, just a different opinion, which should ALWAYS be welcome in Hip Hop. Good to hear you back on the show G-Mittens! I rarely agree with you (we’re all aware of that – especially after the KRS incident), but that doesn’t mean I don’t wanna hear what you have to say. So, if you ain’t an Elzhi fan…I cain’t do nuttin’ for ya!

8. BrainSlice says:

By the way, I read somewhere that he has been working on that album for YEARS. It was a labor of love, and you gotta respect that.