Happy birthday to one of the most innovative/creative producers in hip hop history! In July of 2011, The Pharcyde came through D.C. to perform and pay tribute to J Dilla as part of the 6th annual D.C. Loves Dilla (big up to Munch). It benefited the J Dilla Foundation and Lupus Foundation of Greater Washington. The backing band for the night was the The Players (lead by friend of the show Jon Laine) and the host for the night was Grap Luva. This is a dope annual event, which is now a staple in the D.C. area and only continues to grow! Past special guests have included Talib Kweli, Pete Rock, and Ma Dukes (part of the 2008 Dilla Day/Subsoniq collabo show), Phife Dawg, Dwele, Slum Village and more.
We were lucky enough to plug into the soundboard for the 2011 show and capture the audio. We can’t play all of it all in an hour (it was a 2+ hour show), and unfortunately we can’t make it downloadable right now, but what we have streaming below are just some of our hip hop highlights from the night, enjoy!
Listen to The Pharcyde and “D.C.’s finest” tribute to J Dilla below
Join our e-mail list List subscribers gain access to the show first, opportunities to win free Subsoniq t-shirts, and exclusive downloads. You can easily unsubscribe at anytime if you don’t like it.
1. The Pharcyde Set (includes Dilla produced songs Bullshit, Runnin, Drop + more Pharcyde classics)
2. Flex Mathews – Stakes Is High
3. Gods’illa – Raise It Up
4. DJ Roddy Rod & Flex Mathews – F*ck The Police
5. J Laine (leader of the Players) “Whip Me With A Strap”
5. Kaimbr & Kenn Starr – (Busta Rhymes/Dilla set) – Just Another Day At The Range > What Up > Turn Me Up Some > So Hardcore
6. Memory Montage from Common, Busta Rhymes, T3 (of Slum Village), Pharoahe Monch, Questlove, Ghostface, Ali Shaheed Muhammad (from past Dilla specials on Subsoniq).